The Department of State Security (DSS) claimed Friday night that convener of #RevolutionNow Omoyele Sowore remained in its custody because no one had come to pick him.
Sowore had, earlier in the day, embarked on a hunger strike to protest his continued detention two days after perfecting the bail granted him and his co-defendant, Adeyemi Bakare, by a Federal High Court in Abuja.
The DSS, in a statement by its spokesman, Peter Afunanya, confirmed receipt of the Court Order for the release of Sowore.
“It is important that the public notes that since the receipt of the order, no person has turned up at the DSS to take delivery of him,” the agency said.
It added: “This becomes imperative for reasons of accountability.
“However, the court has been properly briefed on this development and the steps being taken to ensure compliance with its order.
“The Service, under the leadership of Yusuf Magaji Bichi (fwc), as the Director General, is not a lawless organisation and will never obstruct justice or disobey court orders.
“It, therefore, affirms that it will do all that is needful once the appropriate processes have been concluded.”
Sowore’s lawyers said he had started a hunger strike to press home his release having perfected his bail condition.
A lawyer in the firm of Falana and Falana, Marshal Abubakar, told The Nation that Sowore was still being held by the DSS, two days after he met his bail condition.